What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is a training methodology aimed at improving overall fitness - increasing both strength and cardiovascular levels for people of all fitness levels and abilities. The program was developed by Coach Greg Glassman through many years of watching, working with and coaching all types of people – from those considered “normal and average” to top athletes. Coach Glassmans idea- take what worked best from the sports and movements that create the most versatile athletes (gymnastics, weightlifting and metabolic conditioning) and throw out the rest. If a workout or particular movement proved to be challenging, functional and effective, it stayed in the system. If not, it was dropped. What remains is CrossFit- the most effective fitness and conditioning system available outside of elite training programs associated with major university sports teams and professional athletics.
CrossFit is a core strength and conditioning program. We have designed our program to elicit as broad an adaptational response as possible. CrossFit is not a specialized fitness program but a deliberate attempt to optimize physical competence in each of ten recognized fitness domains.
- Endurance-The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.
- Stamina-The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.
- Strength-The ability of a muscular unit or combination of muscular units to apply force.
- Flexibility-The ability to maximize the range of motion at any given joint.
- Power-The ability of a muscular unit or combination of muscular units to apply force in minimum time.
- Speed-The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.
- Coordination-The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a single distinct movement.
- Agility-The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.
- Balance-The ability to control the placement of the body’s center of gravity in relation to its support base.
- Accuracy-The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity.
The CrossFit program was developed to enhance an individuals competency at all physical tasks. Our members are trained to perform successfully at multiple, diverse, and randomized physical challenges. This fitness is demanded of military and police personnel, firefighters, and many sports requiring total or complete physical prowess. CrossFit has proven effective in these arenas.
Aside from the breadth of totality of fitness the CrossFit program seeks, our program is distinctive, if not unique, in its focus on maximizing neuroendocrine response, developing power, cross-training with multiple training modalities, constant training and practice with functional movements, and the development of successful diet strategies.